EDEN Participates in Groundbreaking Web site Providing a New Resource for Consumers in Disaster Education
EDEN partnered in a groundbreaking new Web site, eXtension.org. EDEN led one of the Pioneer Communities of Practice with work teams that have focused on Agrosecurity and Flooding.
eXtension.org will be a gateway to answering many of life’s questions – from disaster issues to saving and investing, parenting, entrepreneurship and wildlife issues. The experts behind eXtension.org are university faculty and researchers at land-grant institutions across the nation as well as field staff working with state Extension services.
eXtension offers credible expertise; reliable answers based on sound research; connections to the best minds in American universities; creative solutions to today's complex challenges; customized answers to specific needs; trustworthy, field-tested data; and dynamic, relevant and timely answers. All resources are free.
Consumers will find the site easy to navigate. eXtension currently has 16 resource areas called Communities of Practice. Each is typically a multi-institutional, multistate and multidisciplinary group that brings the "best of the best" educational resources to the public.
eXtension.org at a Glance
- Provides contact with more than 3,000 local Cooperative Extension offices where professionals can help you in your own neighborhood
- Offers searchable knowledge base and “Ask the Experts” options
- Has 36,000 frequently asked questions in its knowledge base; 4,500 of these are available to the public and more are opening every day
- Boasts 16 Communities of Practice
- Disaster Education Network
- Diversity in Higher Education
- Gardens, Lawns and Landscapes
- Wildlife Damage Management
- Personal Finance
- Dairy Cattle
- Imported Fire Ants
- Livestock and Poultry
- Family Caregiving
- Geospatial Technologies
- Youth Science, Engineering and Technology
- Affiliated with Cooperative Extension, a land-grant university network
eXtension is an interactive learning environment delivering the best, most researched knowledge from the smartest land-grant university minds across America. eXtension connects knowledge consumers with knowledge providers—experts like you who know their subject matter inside out.
- Credible expertise
- Reliable answers based upon sound research
- Connections to the best minds in American universities
- Creative solutions to today’s complex challenges
- Customized answers to users’ specific needs
- Trustworthy, field-tested data
- Dynamic, relevant and timely answers
Visit http://www.extension.org/ and explore the Agrosecurity and Flooding sections under Disaster Issues to see the outstanding work done by EDEN representatives. More work is being done by EDEN in Avian Influenza, and will be added to eXtension.
When you join the eXtension network, you bring your unique education, skills and experience to a wide community of interested users. Collaborate with colleagues and consumers to expand your work. Help others solve today’s challenging problems. And, while you’re at it, get the national and international recognition you deserve!
If you would like to become more active in EDEN, and would like to participate in a disaster issues community of practice, please let us know! Please follow this link
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=7aiYxWEmX7d9 306esQKS0Q_3d_3d to the survey. It should take only a few minutes for you to complete.
Click here to download an MSWord formatted copy of this story.