When the Power is Out

A common alternative power supply for when standard utilities are out is a gas powered generator. If not used correctly generators can be hazardous. Here are a few tips to ensure success when using a generator:

  • To prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, never use a generator inside the house, in an attached garage, or near the home’s doors, windows or vents. CO can't be seen or smelled and can lead to incapacitation and death. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, nauseous, or weak or develop a headache or muscle aches while using a generator, get to fresh air right away -DO NOT DELAY. Seek medical help immediately.
  • To avoid electrocution, generators must be kept dry and be operated on dry surfaces. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
  • Overloading the generator can result in fire. Know the capacity of the generator and the amps required by the electrical appliances you intend to run with the generator. To reduce the risk of electrical shock and/or fire, use an undamaged extension cord with three prongs (includes a grounding pin).
  • To prevent fires, turn off and let the generator cool before refueling. A fuel spill on hot generator parts could start a fire. Keep a fire extinguisher near the generator and do not remove or tamper with the safety devices.